Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Reading Kindle – The Times

Ed. Print EYE GLASS

My daughter and my son brought me a Kindle over a year ago and suddenly renewed my like reading books mostly inaccessible. Thanks to David, my son, and Julio Alem, I read the historical work of Isaac Asimov and Anthony Beevor, the novels of Antonio Muñoz Molina, the incomparable John Kennedy O’Toole A Confederacy of Dunces, rereading The Green House and Conversation in the Cathedral, once I lost, and authors like Nabokov, Scott Fitzsgerald and Jose Saramago in Collected Works.

I’ve talked to readers friends who do not want to leave out the role and understand, but usually the font editions is 12 or less points, while the Kindle one can expand at will on a screen that does not shine and gives a dim light to read in the dark and not wake up to the couple; but especially the ease of transporting hundreds or thousands of books in your pocket and deplete the dead hours of a trip with the reading of these works is a hobby that may accompany me to the end of my days.

With Antonio Muñoz Molina has passed me something unique. Read Sefarad, on the advice of a good friend, and probably is the only work in 40 years I began to reread immediately. Do not want it to end, but when this was unavoidable started reading again and today I’m going down the middle of my second reading. Gradually become clear to me one of the keys of the novel (which has thousands of course): raise related issues and not always build narrative structures. I’m impressed by the ability of Muñoz Molina to remember that life is just like that and do not always end processes, as would a good novel. These are processes that one would make you laugh when you think, for example, at the end of the world, to be held from time to time and finally, when the beginnings of life on the planet lasted millions of years and perhaps to last another many do not know how many. So the recurring themes of love, death, jealousy, memory, insomnia, persecution, flight, many others, can last indefinitely and not always respond to that curious dramatic need for us to end the narrations.

Being here and there, from one moment to another, is an issue that Muñoz Molina in a Jew as Kafka, who may have ended in Auschwitz tuberculosis if not annihilated before as finished Milena that of their cards, or their sisters; a cobbler child Sexton told the narrator; like a traveler who is here today and tomorrow across the border, in an area where no one knows; as the man who goes to medical advice and does not know that the doctor is waiting with bad news, and he looks carefree but when you leave have to see a new wrinkle on his face, a look of uncertainty, a gesture of despair concealed by assault; such as museums unvisited and still work with older employees who no longer want to see anything not to go crazy.

There is a romantic attachment to the role that I understand and I share, but I can not believe how many books Today I read through my Kindle, to the point that if I did the classic question about what book I would take to a desert island (which many Bible say), rather carry my Kindle, but the thing is charging. But if this new technology and ease of charging batteries and use is in our hands, why resist seize it?

The author is a chronicler of the city.

How do you rate this news

avg
-. points

LikeTweet

No comments:

Post a Comment