Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Someone Gave my 5-year-old to Tablet – Washington Post

January 5


There it is. A tablet for a tot. (Meredith Hale)

I was at a loss.

As I sat there eyeing the small gift box, tastefully wrapped in blue paper with a matching ribbon, I HAD no idea what to do. The Accompanying receipt dumped me what was inside: a brand-new Kindle Fire – for my 5-year-old daughter

When my husband came home from work, we stared at the gift together, unsure how to. proceed. We Agreed That the present, sent by a close family member, was incredibly generous. We Also Agreed That our daughter would love it – after all, she always Asked to play on Papa’s iPad Whenever I visited, and she was fascinated by her cousin’s tablet. But she’d Never Had one of her own, and frankly, the thought of getting her one not crossed our minds HAD.

Until now.

Suddenly, we where faced With the prospect of our kindergartner owning a tablet, on Which She Could play games, practice reading, or surf the Internet. On the one hand, it Sounded innocent enough. After all, we want her to be comfortable and keep up with Technology With Her peers. There are plenty of educational apps for young kids – not to mention Opportunities for her to keep busy During long road trips or stints at the Doctor’s office. Plus, it was a gift from a family member, lowest wanted to share something special With Her During the holidays. We Could not object to that.

And yet We had some serious reservations. Talking it over, we came up with a list of Reasons We Were uncomfortable letting our daughter keep esta gift.

There’s a world beyond the screen. I’ve seen too many kids who’ve lost the art of eye contact, perpetually Their attention focused on Their fingertips. Who am I kidding? You can add me to That group. While I try to resist, I get sucked in way More Often than I should. I know how easy it is to center your life on a screen, and lose sight of everything around you. I rationalize That I need to check E-mail client, or answer-to a comment on my blog. But the reality is That if I’m looking down, I’m not paying attention to the people in front of me. Or taking in the first blooms of spring. Or Being inspired by an elderly couple staring into each other’s eyes. I want more for my daughter. I want her to see the world -.. And not just on YouTube

It sets us up for a constant battle While we allow our daughter to watch television, we do try to limit her TV time to some fullest extent. Those Efforts Yet even bring on complaints and aggravated eye rolls. I can only suppose the battles we’d Have trying to disconnect her from That device – Whether for dinner, or homework, or just to chat acerca her day. Yes, We Could September limits on her screen time. But do we really need something new to argue over?

What’s she looking at, anyway? My daughter has (thankfully) outgrown Dora, and is always looking for new shows to watch . Fortunately, with the TV in the living room, I can sit down and watch with her. I can choose Which shows are Appropriate, and Provide context for May she see anything confusing (like how Real girls, UNLIKE the Winx fairies, need to wear actual clothing). Handheld devices offer less opportunity for Such oversight. I know there are parental controls, but I’m still uncomfortable with a screen I can not Easily see-especially one that’s connected to the Internet. While she can not read yet, there’s still plenty of trouble she can get into online. It’s not all photos of rainbows and dancing cats out there, after all.

With a great device comes great Responsibility. Winter just started, and Already my daughter has misplaced 90 percent of her hats and gloves. She’s always leaving things places-on the bus, at a friend’s house, store in the bathroom. She’s only 5. I expect her to lose things like hats and gloves. I’d be much more upset if she lost a Kindle, and so would she. Why Place That burden on her?

Little brother, big problems. My daughter has a 2-year-old brother With boundary issues. Last night at dinner, a 20-minute screaming match ensued When I insisted on using her Frozen silverware set. I can only suppose the decibel levels around here Should a shiny electronic gadget enter the picture.

It’s a Zen thing. Finally, yet Perhaps MOST importantly, my daughter has an amazing way of Being still. We faq frequently drive six hours to visit my in-laws. During trips in Original, sometimes she naps, sometimes she colors, sometimes she plays with dolls. But faq frequently, she just sits. I’m not sure if she’s taking in the sights or is lost in her thoughts. But Being reliable to be quiet and contemplative-to be in the moment-is a gift That Should be nourished. I’ve seen the transformation When my dad’s iPad Enters the picture. Suddenly, esta same child can not go for a 10-minute car ride without wanting to play Angry Birds. While I support Parents Who rely on tablets to keep sane Their kids in the car, my daughter Seems to be fine esta without distraction. And I’d like to keep it That Way for just a little longer.

I know we can not postpone the unavoidable forever. The world around us-and our own technology addictions-Make that impossible. Our daughter May Eventually one of These devices need for school, or beg Until We can not take it anymore. But I like to think we still unavailable time. That we can nourish her imagination and Encourage her to live in the present for just a little longer.

And so, We had the awkward conversation and returned the Kindle. It was uncomfortable and confusing, but right for our family. After all, Those Angry Birds will probably still be peeved a few years from now-when we’re ready to enter the 21st century as a family.

Meredith Hale is the author of Mommy A to Z: An Encyclopedia of the Joys, Wonders, and Absurdities of Motherhood. Follow her on Twitter, Facebook, and the Mommy A to Z blog

You Might Also be interested in:.

Parenting as a Gen Xer: We’re the first generation of parents in the age of iEverything

How can we be friends if we’re not even “friends”

Introducing kids to volunteering

A letter to myself as a new mom

Like On Parenting on Facebook for more essays, news and advice. You can

LikeTweet

No comments:

Post a Comment