Sunday, February 1, 2015

The day my Kindle screen Lost its gleam – The Australian

IT is hard to pinpoint the exact moment I fell out of love. Something just died and I can not quite say why or When. All I know is I have not touched my Kindle in weeks.

Like a spouse keeping up appearances When a long marriage has crumbled, I keep buying books That sit in my electronic library, unread. Or I stop halfway through a novel That I desperately want to finish, because i can not face pushing That sliding button, or seeing That black-and-white image of Emily Dickinson flicker into view When the screen saver activates godforsaken one more time. The e-book is dead to me.

I have reverted to a world of longing and fantasy. My daydreams take me to Sri Lanka’s tea country, Nuwara Eliya Where to acerca 15 years ago I read the bulk of Anna Karenina in between games of chess. It was the fattest book i had ever read. I held it in my hands and I felt I’d literary Climbed a mountain.

I can not remember Achieving That kind of immersion in an e-book. Certainly, right now when i look at my Kindle it leaves me feeling cold. I crave absorption in Something That does not have any screen or emit light.

Apparently I’m not alone in this. While Christmas shopping, my local independent bookshop was bustling. And the evidence of our love affair Ongoing With The physical book is not just anecdotal. That organization handles the buying and marketing group for independent bookshops in Australia, Leading Edge Books, says sales data Indicates the digital share of the book market has peaked and Stabilised Who Have sampled readers as the e-reader begin to migrate back to the physical book .

Five years ago, my former colleague Corrie Perkin journalism departed after a distinguished 30-year career to open a bookshop, right at the peak of the market Upheavals That saw Collins: such as publishing giants go into administration. “Everybody Said We Were crazy,” says Corrie. “But I Had an innate belief as our daily lives That Became more and more linked to the iPad and the iPhone, That in our leisure time we want to spend less Jun time on Those devices. For a meaningful engagement with a book … a tactile, tangible, physical item That is the thing people keep coming back to. “The gamble paid off. Corrie’s bookstore, My Bookshop, is acerca to open STI second premises in Melbourne.

There is another aspect, too. As we speak, Corrie is looking at her bookshelves, Where She has a collection of books left behind by her father, the acclaimed newspaper editor Graham Perkin, lowest When Corrie died was 14 years old. “I was a big reader,” she says. “I have stacks of His books. They connect him to me”

My mother, too, kept some of our childhood books. John Brown and the Midnight Cat was a favorite of me and my sister. Now That story I read to my children. The pages are tattered; more than a few are held together With sticky tape. But it’s a physical marker of a tradition, of a head resting in the nook of a mother’s arm after bath time, a time of absorption that is all too rare in esta electronic world. Long may it live.

LikeTweet

No comments:

Post a Comment